Yes, we know the water’s cold and it rains a lot but there’s a huge choice of incredible beaches along our shores. Here are five firm favourites
- 12 beaches with wow factor
- Best beaches for action and activities
- 10 great European beaches for families
- Five of the world’s best wild beaches
It seems invidious to choose only one south-west Wales beach – Barafundle, Whitesands and Mwnt, are all hard to resist – but Marloes is very special. The half-mile cliff walk puts the crowds off, and there are no facilities at all. Yet you have a mile of broad sweeping sand dotted with towering rocks that stand in large low-tide pools flickering with tiny fish and shrimps. The firm, flat sand is perfect for beach games or galloping horses (Snow White and the Huntsman was filmed there in 2011). There’s plenty here to keep the whole family amused, assuming they don’t regard amusement as something that comes in arcades. The south-facing aspect bodes well in summer, but check the tides and wind.
• West Hook Farm campsite charges £14 for a tent and two adults, plus £5.50 teenager, £3 child, westhookfarm-camping.co.uk