From the Baltic to the Med, Joanne O’Connor suggests 10 fine sandy strands, and nearby places to stay. Please use the comments to add your own suggestions
- 12 beaches with wow factor
- Five of the best UK beaches
- Best beaches for action and activities
- Five of the world’s best wild beaches
Greece has no shortage of gorgeous beaches, but when it comes to accessible and child-friendly options, the Cyclades island of Naxos is hard to beat. One of the best bets for families can be found within a five-minute walk of Naxos Town (Chora). The warm, shallow waters of St George beach are perfect for paddling and snorkelling but there’s plenty to keep older children happy, too. At the Flisvos Sport Club, you can sign up for windsurfing, wakeboarding or waterskiing, hire a mountain bike, or play a game of beach tennis or volleyball. The beach is lined with laid-back tavernas and beach clubs which hire out sun loungers.
• A week self-catering for two at Kalergis Studios, a stone’s throw from the beach, costs £667